Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Ballplayers I Miss

As Opening Day 2009 quickly approaches, I find myself waxing nostalgic about ballplayers I loved to watch play way back when. Here's a list of the Big Leaguers I wish were still playing. Who makes your list?

  1. Nolan Ryan
  2. Dave Winfield
  3. Tony Gwinn
  4. Ozzy Smith (just think, #'s 2-3-4 were once Padres; two escaped!)
  5. Greg Maddux
  6. Mark McGwire (yes, I'm serious)
  7. Bernie Williams
  8. Cal Ripken, Jr. (even as an Oriole)
  9. Willie McGee
  10. Jim Abbott
  11. Fernando Valenzuela
  12. Andre Dawson (even as a Cub)
  13. Roger Clemens (pre-1998, pre-steroid insanity)

And, there are players who took to the diamond before my lifetime (at least in their primes) that I would have loved to see play. They are:

  1. Babe Ruth
  2. Dizzy Dean
  3. Stan Musial
  4. Hank Aaron
  5. Lou Gehrig
  6. Satchel Paige
  7. Sandy Koufax
  8. Ted Williams
  9. Roberte Clemente
  10. Jackie Robinson
  11. Walter Johnson
  12. Ducky Medwick
  13. Ty Cobb

No comments: