I got to thinking . . . what other notable anniversaries are happening in 2009?
- King Henry VIII was crowned king of England in 1509 . . . 500 years ago.
- George Washington was married to Martha Custis in 1759 . . . 250 years ago.
- Robert Fulton obtained a patent for the steamboat in 1809 . . . 200 years ago.
- Oregon became the 33rd U.S. state in 1859 . . . 150 years ago.
- Ernest Shackleton became the first to reach the South Pole in 1909 . . . 100 years ago.
- Robert Peary became the first to reach the North Pole in 1909 . . . 100 years ago.
- The Barbie Doll was introduced in 1959 . . . 50 years ago.
- Hawaii became the 50th U.S. state in 1959 . . . 50 years ago.
And, if they had lived to 2009, these people would have celebrated some special birthdays:
- John Calvin (500 years)
- William Wilberforce (250 years)
- Abraham Lincoln (200 years)
- Charles Darwin (200 years)
- Barry Goldwater (100 years)
And, 2009 is a special milestone year for me personally.
- My parents celebrated 40 years of marriage on July 4.
- Manuelito Navajo Children's Home (my employer) will celebrate 50 years of operation on August 15.