Saturday, February 27, 2010

An Indian Version of the 23rd Psalm

The Great father above a Shepherd Chief is.
I am His, and with Him I want not.
He throws to me a rope, and the name of the rope is love.
He draws and draws me to where the grass is green and the water is dangerous not.
I eat and lie down and am satisfied.
Sometimes my heart is very weak and falls down,
but he lifts me up again and draws me into a good road.
His name is Wonderful.

Sometime, it may be very soon, it may be many many moons,
He will draw me into a valley.
It is dark there but I'll be afraid not,
for it is between those mountains that the Shepherd Chief will meet me
and the hunger that I have in my heart all through this life
will be satisfied.

Sometimes He makes the love rope into a whip,
but afterward He gives me a staff to lean upon.
He spreads a table before me with all kinds of foods.
He puts His hand upon my head and all the "tired" is gone.
My cup He fills till it runs over.
What I tell is true. i lie not.
These roads that are "away ahead" will stay with me through this life,
and afterward I will go to live in the Big Tepee
and sit down with the Shepherd Chief forever.

Author Unknown

No comments: