Sunday, May 27, 2007

Memorial Day Is Much More Than a Picnic!


Unfortunately, many have come to see Memorial Day as merely the official beginning of summer. Certainly, the day traditionally coincides with the ending of the school year, but doesn’t Memorial Day mean much more than vacation time and sun and fun? It is a day that is designated in honor of those who have given their lives in defense of our nation and our liberties.


One of the things I hold most dear in life is my relationship to two men who served in our nation’s Armed Forces. My dad served 20 years in the United States Navy. In fact, when I was born, he was a part of the crew of the U.S.S. Halsey, a guided-missile frigate assigned to the Pacific Fleet during the days of the Vietnam War. For much of my growing-up years, he served as a recruiter for the Navy in Lubbock, Texas. My grandfather was in the United States Army, serving during World War II in New Guinea and the Philippines. He was seriously wounded in combat in 1944, and was awarded the Purple Heart.


Today, society makes heroes out of a lot of people: athletes, rock stars, actors, and the like. But, the real heroes are those men and women who put their lives on the line for the benefit of others and those who serve a cause greater than self. Jesus said it most clearly, “Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends” (John 15.13).


On this Memorial Day, remember those who have sacrificed all they had so that we might live in freedom today. Enjoy the time spent with family and friends. Enjoy the fun. Enjoy the sun. But, let us never forget those who have fallen, those who have served.

6 comments:

Paula Harrington said...

Just came over from Trey's blog. Enjoyed yours, too.

How close are you to Safford? My grandfather preached there many years ago and also for a few months this past winter.

Paula

Jeff Foster said...

Paula, thanks for dropping by.

I'm not familiar with Safford, Colo. Cortez is located in the southwest corner of the state, near where the Four Corners meet (Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, and Utah).

Are you related to J. B. Harrington? he preaches for the church in Farmington, NM, just across the border.

Blessings,
Jeff

Paula Harrington said...

Ok, I was wrong. It wasn't Safford. It was a small town and I can't remember the name but I do remember that it had a hotel that was built around a drive-in theater. From any room in the hotel you could look out and watch the movie. Thought that was neat since my husband's family owns the local drive-in theater here.

No, we aren't related to JB.

Jeanne M. said...

I, too, came over from Trey's blog. When were you in Lubbock? My daughter, Pat, graduated from LCC in 1977. Her maid of honor was Lisa Harrington, J. B.'s daughter. Her husband and mine graduated from Sunset - hers in 1977, mine in 1976.

My parents lived in Colorado Springs in 1949-1956, and we visited every year from Texas. I would love to have lived there, but my husband always got nose bleeds and lower energy level while there, so didn't seriously consider it. God really made a beautiful area.

Jeanne

Jeanne M. said...

My husband served in the Coast Guard and was stationed in the Phillipines at the end of World War II. He has many interesting tales to give.

We are truly a blessed nation to have men who are willing and ready to protect our right of liberty and freedom.

God bless you and your family.

Jeanne

Jeff Foster said...

Jeanne, thanks for your post.

I grew up in Lubbock. My parents, Jim & Joyce Foster, both work at L.C.U. and live on campus (Living Center). I went to Lubbock Christian Schools from kindergarten on ... graduated from LCU in 1994.

I've heard J.B. speak of Lisa.

Blessings,
Jeff