I was born 37 years ago today. My introduction to the world came in the tiny hospital at Groom, Texas, to the east of Amarillo. In the years since I have made my home in fourteens towns and cities (Cortez, Lubbock, McLean, Midland, Big Spring, Childress, Idalou, Hollis, Oklahoma City, Memphis, Denver, Mineral Hill, Chula Vista, and New Orleans) in seven states (Colorado, Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Tennessee, Louisiana, and California). I’ve met thousands of people along the way, enjoyed countless friendships, have so many fond memories of experiences past, and have enjoyed the fellowship of Christian brothers and sisters from all over the world. I have lived a good life and look forward to many more years.
Even though there are times when I can be quite stubborn and hard-headed, there are a few things I have learned in my life. There are certain things I know to be right.
· The Dallas Cowboys are “America’s Team”! (yes, even in Colorado :-)
· Nothing beats beef brisket smoked over mesquite, topped off with peach cobbler and Blue Bell homemade vanilla ice cream
· If you have an opportunity to live in the shadow of the La Plata Mountains, why would you live anywhere else?
· There is no better place to spend a week of summer than at a Christian camp
· I don’t swim (even at a baptism :-)
· That plastic card in my billfold is not “free” money!
· I admit it, The Cosby Show and The Andy Griffith show are Must See TV (even after all these years)
· I can stand atop a mountain all day long, but don’t put me on a roof top
· Why watch the movie when you can read the book instead?
· The game of 42 can teach you a lot about people (let’s play!)
· A U.S.A. Today newspaper, an all-you-can-eat buffet, and a bottomless iced tea glass is my kind of lunch (and doesn’t it show!!!)
· The letters M, E, H & G (actually, the names they represent) mean more to me than anything else in this world
“Taste and see that the Lord is good,” the psalmist once said. Without a doubt, the greatest truth I have learned in life, a fact that has been continually reinforced every step of the way!