I graduated from Lubbock Christian High School in May 1988. It was the culmination of 12 years of education spent within the Lubbock Christian Schools system (all but 1st grade, which was spent, in of all places, New Orleans, Lou.!). I am very appreciative of those years, especially of the many, many relationships that came in that time. I remain in contact with many of the students who I befriended in those years (friendships that are worth more than all the riches of the world), and I still see many of my teachers from time to time. It is always special to worship with the Green Lawn church and see several of those teachers.
I've spent the day thinking back the 20 years that have come and now gone since I was a proud L.C.H. Eagle. More than half a lifetime has passed! Wow! As I looked back, I remembered . . .
- Ronald Reagan was president on the day I graduated, and within a few months I would cast a vote in the Presidential election for the first time . . . a proud vote (then and now) for George the Elder.
- The Los Angeles Dodgers won the World Series in that year long ago, and they haven't been back to the Series since. Although, with the whupping they're giving to the Cubs, they might just make it there this season! I'm a loyal Cardinal fan, so I love the Cubs getting beat.
- 1988 was the last summer I spent working as a pot washer at Camp Blue Haven. Boy, do I sure miss that place.
- I was working at the Brittany Restaurant here in the South Plains Mall in Lubbock during 1988. I loved that job, too.
- I would enroll as a student at Oklahoma Christian "College" in the Fall of 1988. I only spent one semester there, before I returned to L. C. U. If they'd only have let freshmen take Greek! Of course, when I got to L. C. U. and jumped into Greek class, I quickly discovered I wasn't yet disciplined enough to excel at it. Maybe it had something to do with M-F 7:30 a.m.
- A highlight of 1988: "miniature" golf in the Green Lawn church building with Danny Holmes and Tim Byars. What a great way to waste a couple of hours . . . except when I tried to "tee" the ball up two flights of steps, careening it off two walls . . . err fiberglass windows.
- A regret from 1988: not going with my family on a 3-week road-trip/vacation to the Northwest. Alas, I spent the time working at the Brittany.
- And, who could forget the 3-13 Cowboys? Of course, had I know that would be Tom Landry's final season, my interest would have been piqued.
- That was also the year my Oklahoma Sooners began to unravel.
I'm wondering who will be at the 30th reunion?