Tuesday, April 24, 2007

A Night Without TV!

I'm not adicted to TV. If it was turned off I'd never miss it.

What was I thinking???

The cable company is having difficulties tonight, and our signal has been off for . . . two hours. Oh, no! Where's my fix of Good Eats? What about SportsCenter? And, how can I expect to end my day without seeing a Cosby Show episode (for the 15th time!)?

Okay, okay, I'm a TV junkie! I admit it.

How different my life would have been without Captain Kangaroo, Gilligan, Fat Albert, Farrah Fawcett, Hawkeye, the General Lee, Dr. Huxtable, Kramer, Mulder, Tim the Tool Man, Data, Bill O'Reilly, . . . The Iron Chefs, and all the rest. Although, I'm sure that without I'd have been more cultured, sophisticated, less given to boredom, and with a much longer attention span. Instead of Hee Haw, perhaps I'd have grown up to the Boston Pops.

Yes, much of what comes out of our TVs is junk, more so every day. And yes, it occupies way too much of our days and nights. But, has a more effective communication tool ever been created? Can it not be said that television has made a large, detached world into a relative neighborhood?

My point? Like many things in life, TV offers good and bad; there is much potential to applaud, and there can be much to bemoan and dismiss. Parents, we hold the key . . . are we watching what our kids watch?

Oh . . . the TVs back on, and what do you know, just in time for tonight's HuxtaPalooza! TV Land is running a Cosby Show marathon!

2 comments:

TREY MORGAN said...

Hey bro,

Didn't know you blogged. Glad I found you. Looking forward to looking around this place and catching up.

Blessings

Jeff Foster said...

Trey, I'm new at the blogging thing. As you can see, I haven't been as disciplined at it as you. I've enjoyed reading yours. Great stuff! Keep it up.