Saturday, April 26, 2008

Arrival in Phoenix

My day. From 21 degrees to 97. From just under 10,000 foot elevation to a little above 1,000. From snow to sand. From Ponderosa pines to Sonoran saguaro cactus. From a rustic lodge in the forest to the 6th largest city in the United States.

I am now in Phoenix, Arizona, where I have the blessing of speaking to two congregations tomorrow, informing them about the good work of Manuelito Navajo Children's Home. I will be with the Northside congregation in Phoenix in the morning and the Alma School Road congregation in Chandler tomorrow night. I love opportunities to talk about Manuelito and our precious children. We rely on the partnership of churches and individuals throughout the country, and we are always looking for new people to join our work through their generosity and prayers. If I could come speak to your congregation, please let me know.

I have spent the past few days at the old Cascade Lodge south of Silverton, Colorado. I was attending Workshop In the Word, a preaching seminar hosted by Guy Orbison, Jr. and the Durango Church of Christ. The seminar is always challenging and a wonderful opportunity to renew friendships with preachers and other church leaders from throughout the West and other parts of the country.

The first photo below is of the Cascade Lodge. It is located on the slopes of Engineer Mountain in the San Juan National Forest. It was built in 1928 as a facility for the Boy Scouts to use for their summer camps. It has been wonderfully preserved by a non-profit group out of Durango and is available for groups to use for retreats and programs. I love coming here.

The next series of photos are from my trip over Red Mountain pass, into Silverton, and then over Molas and Coal Bank passes, down to the Cascade Lodge. The near record snowfalls are beautiful! These images are my idea of heaven.

This first photo is of Engineer Mountain, an Animas Valley landmark. The Cascade Lodge is below the lower right hand corner of the photo.

From near the summit of Red Mountain pass.

Below Molas pass. An old miner's house.

Can you tell why they call it Red Mountain?

Between Ouray and Red Mountain.

Headed out of Ridgway, south to Ouray and Red Mountain pass.

Looking north off the Million Dollar Highway, north of Red Mountain pass.

No comments: