Thursday, September 1, 2011

Take It One Day At A Time

Jesus said, "Don't worry about tomorrow, because tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own" (Matthew 6.34 HCSB).

Isn't Jesus telling us to live one day at a time?

But, do we not often burden ourselves with the decisions of yesterday?

The power of regret is one of the most intimidating opponents we face in life. Second-guessing ourselves. Playing the game of "What if?" Wishing we had taken the other fork in the road. Looking at the past through rose-colored glasses while staring at today through the lenses of disappointment and despair.

I occasionally watch the TV show "Hoarders" on the A&E Network. I am struck by the stories told by and about the people featured on the show. They are people whose homes (and lives) have become so cluttered that they can't function adeptly in the present. They are people with houses filled so highly and tightly that movement from room to room is greatly impaired if not difficult--piled with collectibles, mementos, and even valuables, but also the discarded items of others and by junk and filth that seriously threatens the health of the residents . . . clutter that often accumulates because of an effort by the hoarder to either recapture the past or cope with some regrettable circumstances of the past. There is a dwelling on the past that makes living in the present very difficult.

So too, there can be a hoarding of the past, where regrets, failures, disappointments, and haunting memories cloud our today, rob us of present joy, and make looking toward the future a difficult endeavor.

Yet, Jesus tells us to not worry about tomorrow, for each day has its own trouble; take it one day at a time.

But, do we not often become disillusioned by the stresses of today?

Too often, it seems, our lives are so busy and complicated that it is too much for us to simply stop and smell the roses, to enjoy the moment, and to find some peace in today.

Of course, it's usually because we have over extended ourselves. We have put too much on our plates. In the desperation of getting ahead and of living comfortable lifestyles we do too much and allow ourselves no time to breathe. Our daily lives become so cluttered with appointments and obligations that we can't sop and simply live.

I am reminded of the song "Cat's in the Cradle," by Harry Chapin.

My child arrived just the other day
He came to the world in the usual way
But there were planes to catch and bills to pay
He learned to walk while I was away
And he was talkin’ ‘fore I knew it, and as he grew
He’d say, “I’m gonna be like you dad
You know I’m gonna be like you”

And the cat’s in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
When you comin’ home dad?
I don’t know when, but we’ll get together then son
You know we’ll have a good time then

My son turned ten just the other day
He said, “Thanks for the ball, Dad, come on let’s play
Can you teach me to throw?” I said, “Not today
I got a lot to do.” He said, “That’s ok
And he walked away but his smile never dimmed
And said, “I’m gonna be like him, yeah
You know, I’m gonna be like him”

And the cat’s in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
When you comin’ home dad?
I don’t know when, but we’ll get together then son
You know we’ll have a good time then

Well, he came home from college just the other day
So much like a man I just had to say
“Son, I’m proud of you, can you sit for a while?”
He shook his head and said with a smile
“What I’d really like, Dad, is to borrow the car keys
See you later, can I have them please?”

And the cat’s in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
When you comin’ home son?
I don’t know when, but we’ll get together then dad
You know we’ll have a good time then

I’ve long since retired, my son’s moved away
I called him up just the other day
I said, “I’d like to see you son if you don’t mind”
He said, “I’d love to, Dad, if I can find the time
You see my new job’s a hassle and the kids have the flu
But it’s sure nice talking to you, Dad
It’s been sure nice talking to you”

And as I hung up the phone it occurred to me
He’d grown up just like me
My boy was just like me

And the cat’s in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
When you comin’ home dad?
I don’t know when, but we’ll get together then son
You know we’ll have a good time then

And the clutter in our daily lives often makes it hard to see the next moment. The road ahead is hidden from view. In our desperation to get ahead we often don't realize that the grass on the other side, the grass in the pasture we work so hard to get to, is not always greener than that which is already at out feet. Or, in the anxieties we feel over today's troubles, we don't realize that just around the bend in the road the path evens out. Just a little farther, and life will become easier.

Yet, Jesus tells us to not worry about tomorrow, for each day has its own trouble; take it one day at a time.

But, do we not often allow the fears about tomorrow to storm into today?

We often paralyze ourselves about thoughts of what MIGHT happen and what MIGHT be. Anticipation. Uncertainty. The dilemma of "I don't know" often opens a quagmire in our lives.

A humorist once jested, "Lloyd's of London has gotten rich by betting that people will worry about what will never happen."

How many plans have been scrapped because of a fear of costs? How many dreams have been forgotten because of a fear of failure? How many steps haven't been taken because of fears of unseen traps? How many love affairs haven't been realized because of an apprehension to pop the question?

Yet, Jesus tells us to not worry about tomorrow, for each day has its own trouble; take it one day at a time.

No comments: