Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Too Much of a Good Thing?

Superman III. A Return to Snowy River. After Mash. And . . .

I'm in a motel room in Chico, California watching Godfather III. I saw it once before, many years ago. I had forgotten how inferior it is to the first two movies of the franchise. The first two, of course, are masterpieces of the cinema. This last film is second-rate, at best. It really is much more like a TV movie than the follow-up to two of the greatest movies of all time. Maybe I can catch another running of SportsCenter instead of wading through the last hour-and-a-half of this dribble.

Better yet, I will read another chapter or two in The Afghan Campaign, by Steven Pressfield. It is a wonderful fictionalized account of Alexander the Great's campaign to conquer the tribes of Afghanistan in the 4th Century B.C. Though fiction, it is founded on a thorough command of Macedonian culture and warfare. If you like this kind of literature, head over to amazon.com and get you a copy. I found my copy at Barnes & Noble for $5.99--on their discount rack! Not bad for a hardback.

No comments: