Monday, November 24, 2008

Lubbock Now 218Large!

For most of my life, I have been fascinated with the Lubbock city limits signs, particularly the ever growing population numbers posted thereon. Every few years the signs are updated with a new number. I heard today that the new number will be in excess of 218,000. I can remember the many years of eagerly awaiting the day when Lubbock officially eclipsed the 200,000 milestone . . . that happened several years ago. My hometown just keeps growing and changing.

Here are a few things I like about Lubbock (in no particular order):
  • (for the most part) nice, down-to-earth people
  • wide streets
  • a "clean" look
  • all those "W" bumper stickers, even though his last election was in '04
  • Lubbock Christian University
  • (for the South Pains) lots of trees
  • its in Texas, after all
  • football is king
  • most of my family is here, and many, many friends
  • the Christ-centered culture
  • great weather (w/ exception of occasional dust storm)
  • it's not Amarillo!
  • it's not anything like San Francisco
  • faith, family and country still matter . . . big time!
  • the drive on 19th Street between Frankford and Quaker
  • you can be anywhere in the city in, at most, 15 minutes
  • hard work and integrity are valued . . . and expected
  • and, of course, Rosa's

No comments: